At Structure House, we take the mystery out of healthy eating. Check out these recipes for fresh and flavorful meal ideas.
Ingredients: Serves: 10
1 lb zucchini, peeled, sliced
2 ¼ lbs mushrooms, sliced
7 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese
6 oz low fat ricotta cheese
2 ½ cups veggie protein crumbles (like Morning Star Farms)
½ cup egg substitute (or 4 egg whites)
2 cups onions, chopped
13 oz of (dry) lasagna noodles, preferably whole grain
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp ground oregano
2 Tbsps reduced fat parmesan cheese
2 ¼ cups tomato sauce (See Fats & Sauces, OR use jar low sodium sauce)
- Sauté onions, mushrooms, and herbs in pan coated with cooking spray for 3 minutes; add zucchini and cook until soft. Drain water off and let cool.
- Start 6 cups of water boiling in a large pot. Shred mozzarella. Mix ricotta, egg substitute, and mozzarella in a bowl (reserving 1/3 of the mozzarella). Cook pasta in boiling water for about 8 minutes, until semi-soft (al dente). Drain.
- Spray 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray. Pour 1 cup tomato sauce and 1 cup of the veggie crumbles on bottom of pan. Put down one layer of precooked noodles to cover sauce. Spread ½ of vegetable mixture on top of pasta. Spread ½ of the cheese mixture on vegetables. Repeat pasta, vegetable mix and cheese mix. Finish with another layer of pasta on top, then the remaining tomato sauce and veggie crumbles. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella & parmesan. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375ºF for about 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145ºF. Remove cover and bake for another 5 minutes. Cut into 9 equal squares.
**This recipe freezes very well, so you can proportion the leftovers into individual containers and pull them out of the freezer for lunches and dinners as needed.
Serving: about 1 ¼ cups
Nutrition Facts: Calories 310, Fat 9g (Saturated 4g), Carbohydrate 38g, Protein 21g, Sodium 410mg
Choices: 1.5 Starch, 2 medium fat Protein, 2 Vegetable
1 cup Black Bean soup OR 1 cup Bean Chowder
Shrimp Pad Thai with Spaghetti Squash
Ingredients: Serves: 4
2 pounds spaghetti squash
22 oz raw, deveined shrimp
2 tsps vegetable oil
2 tsps garlic, minced or pureed
2 tsps ginger, minced or pureed
½ cup water
½ cup carrots, peeled and sliced
½ cup mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsps fish sauce
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 cup bean sprouts or shredded cabbage
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
4 Tbsps scallions, finely chopped
4 Tbsps cilantro, chopped
1 lime, quartered
1. Cut spaghetti squash in half and remove seeds. Then EITHER: Preheat oven to 350 ºF and bake squash halves on baking sheet until done, approx. 45 minutes, OR microwave halves on the plate for 10-15 minutes until soft. Rotate every 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add minced garlic and ginger when the oil is hot. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add sliced mushrooms and carrots, along with water, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, tomato paste, and peanut butter. Stir, wait until bubbling and cook for ~6 more minutes. If the mixture starts to dry out, add water until a little liquid remains in the bottom of the saucepan.
3. Add shrimp to saucepan, along with cayenne and sprouts. Stir, and cook with liquid bubbling for 2-3 minutes, making sure all shrimp firm up. Meanwhile, make sure scallions, peanuts, and cilantro are diced. Remove saucepan from heat.
4. Scoop out (warm) spaghetti squash halves with as few scoops as possible to leave strands intact. Add squash to saucepan and press and stir into mixture to distribute the squash “noodles”. Plate 1+2/3 cups onto each plate, and top with 1 Tbsp each of cilantro and scallions. Serve with one wedge of lime on the side.
Serving: about 1 & 2/3 cups (including about 8 shrimp)
Nutrition Facts: Calories 300, Fat 5g (Saturated 0.5g), Carbohydrate 27g, Fiber 5g, Protein 37g, Sodium 680mg*
Choices: 1 Starch, 4 very lean Protein, 2 Vegetable, 1 Fat
1/3 cup brown rice & ½ cup Sautéed Bok Choy OR 1 cup Sesame Snap Peas